The kits have moved up to a shoe box for weighing. I think I need to spring for a bigger scale. It is getting harder for them to hold still, too. And of course they want to eat the cardboard box, silly things. This despite having lots of nice twigs to chew. The kits gained a total of 4 pounds and 2 ounces this week. Total litter weight is 23 pounds and 8 1/4 ounces.
Kit 1: 2 lb 9 3/4 oz
Kit 2: 3 lb 1 3/8 oz
Kit 3: 4 lb 2 5/8 oz
Kit 4: 3 lb 8 7/8 oz
Kit 5: 3 lb 8 oz
Kit 6: 3 lb 4 1/4 oz
Kit 7: 3 lb 5 3/8 oz
They all did really well this week. Kit 1 gained almost half a pound, so though it is behind, it is starting to gain some ground. Kit 3 is definitely going to be saved for breeding.
I sexed the kits yesterday. There are five does (including the two biggest), one buck, and the smallest kit, Kit 1, I couldn’t determine. I’m not sure it’s as mature as its siblings because of its size. I think it was a girl. There were no obvious testicles like on Kit 5 (the third biggest), but there was no obvious slit or lack of slit, really, so it’s undetermined but leaning towards female for now.
We started weaning. We took the two biggest kits out of Piper’s cage tonight and they are in one of the Wabbitats. This is temporary until we can get the 3rd stack-a-hutch put together. Piper and Phoebe and their respective litters have moved into the other two stack-a-hutch cages. These cages have urine guards, but those also cover the bottom two inches of their cages as well so kind of act as litter guards as well.
Starbuck has moved out of one of the Wabbitats and into Phoebe’s old cage which is much bigger. The third stack-a-hutch, and Piper’s old cage will be our grow out cages. They will eventually have 3 and 3 with the boy in a Wabbitat. Or if they are two boys, 4 and 2 with the doe we are keeping in a Wabbitat. The boy can stay with the girls until he is 12 weeks old. We can use the outside hutches if necessary when 4 to a cage gets to be too much.
We did a lot of heavy duty cage cleaning yesterday. We need to do more today. Since I had to mess so much with Phoebe’s kits yesterday we went ahead and changed out the material in the nesting box, too. Normally I would have waited 10 days, but with trying to find the 9th kit I had to take them out anyway so figured clean litter wouldn’t overly disturb them. They all snuggled back down just fine afterwards. I still feel sad about Kit 9 dying, but I’m not going to beat myself up about it. I’ve lost animals before, but this was the first rabbit and it was just so little. I’m sure I’ll be fine in a couple of days when it’s not so new. I’ve done everything I can to make it better for my son who came to the same conclusion I did about how it must have gotten out, so feels responsible, even though I didn’t blame him or tell him I thought that is how it got out, he’s taken it on himself. We have both promised to be more careful.
I did manage some time to pick blackberries yesterday and got a quart. I should have another quart ready on Tuesday. I didn’t get to the blueberries though. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow. Meanwhile, we’re enjoying the blackberries.