Well, I have to say growing out the barley seeds has been a rousing success. The rabbits love it. Well, all but three of them leapt on it immediately. Three of the 11 week olds were a little unsure. They did eventually eat it, though.
So here is day 7:
And day 8:
It was about 8 inches tall from the root mat to the top of the grass.
I wasn’t sure at first if I was going to have enough to give to all of them after cutting up the first container’s worth.
But by the time I finished cutting up the second one I knew I had plenty.
After taring out the dishpan, my final fodder weight was six pounds and 2 ounces grown from 2 cups or one pound of barley seeds. That is an excellent ratio. I did use a few too many seeds, but that has been corrected on subsequent pans.
Even the littlest kits were happy to poke their heads out (or sometimes their whole bodies) to sample the new green stuff.
I am extremely pleased that this did so well and will definitely be continuing this. With a ratio of six pounds of fodder to one pound of seed, this works out to less than 4 cents per pound of feed. Pellets work out to .26, I believe, so it will be a substantial savings as we gradually shift over.
I did do kit weights last night, but I will do those in a post tomorrow, along with how we are using straw to help insulate the rabbit shed, a necessity, as the water bottles froze last night. At least I have enough to change them out, though.