That does, of course, imply that there is any good news…
Kit # 2, the one that was in with Kit # 3, who was visited by the magical bunny sex change fairy and turned out to be a boy, and is still quite young, gave birth to 6 kits some time last night. I had no idea she was pregnant. I thought I’d gotten them separated (due to aggressiveness on what turned out to be the boy’s part) with plenty of time to spare. It did not even occur to me, even when Kit # 2 had a fur explosion, that she could possibly be pregnant. Since all of our immature does tend to have fur explosions at this age when another doe gives birth or is about to give birth near them.
Three of them had crawled out of the cage, because it didn’t have any guards on it, because of course, she was too young to have babies. Since that was a cage on the third tier, they fell quite a ways. Three of them were still in the cage. We thought they were all dead, but one was just barely moving and so cold. I probably should have just let nature take its course and let it die, but I can’t seem to do that. I stuck it in my bra while my son ran to get a heat lamp and we fixed up a nest for it. It was so cold. We put the two other kits in there just in case they weren’t fully dead and they could be revived by the warmth. That didn’t happen. But the one kit warmed up and made noises.
Once it was warm we tried to put Mama on top of it to get her to nurse, but she didn’t want to. Then we tried to hold her and force nurse, but she got frantic on that. So then we tried to get one of the other nursing rabbits to force nurse, but it couldn’t suckle. It was too weak. I got a syringe and some goat’s milk and we managed to get one ml into it, hoping to make it strong enough to suckle. Not knowing what else to do, we fixed up a nesting box with a ton of the fur the mother had pulled and put it in the cage with her.
I know it is very unlikely that it will live. Maybe maternal instinct will kick in and she will feed it without our interference. But I don’t know how it will stay warm on its own, even with all that fur. If even one other kit had survived the odds would be much better. I know it will probably die. I wish I’d been paying more attention to the mother. But I thought they’d been separated more than a month and I thought she was too young to get pregnant.
I did think about putting it in with Andromeda’s kits, who are a week old, just to keep it warm and then syringe feeding it, but I think the size difference would be a problem and I think Andromeda might get upset. I don’t know. Does anyone know if it would work? Or would the bigger kits crush it? I’m asking just about everywhere I can to try to get info.
In other bad news, the third kit of Lola’s died yesterday afternoon. I had thought it would as it wouldn’t eat that morning.
In other, other bad news, Curious the chicken seems to have badly sprained her leg. We are keeping her in one of the outdoor rabbit coops with food and water so she can’t move about too much. She hates it. She misses the flock.
So, to try to end this on a semi-positive note, the 4th kit that was affected by diarrhea is still going strong. We are feeding it milk. It took 8 droppers at the mid-day feeding yesterday and then 8 more at the night time feeding. This morning it took 6. It takes less in the morning. It was also playing leap frog with its siblings and running around like a possessed bunny. It has gained weight. I see it eating solid food. We are keeping blue spray on its bottom. It helps with any rawness there might be because it is a topical analgesic and it also is supposed to help any poops slide off and not get mushed into the fur. It seems to be working for that.
I still refuse to get my hopes up that it will live. Everything keeps dying.
I had a momentary freak out this morning when I opened the duck coop and only counted eight ducks after they came out. I had counted nine at bedtime and I was worried one had slipped out when I’d put the hose away. But it was there when I did another head count after checking in the coop. So all ducks are alive and healthy, but man…with the way things have been going, I think I would have just sat down and cried.
The turkey poults and the chicks are doing great in their new house. They don’t seem to be able to make it up to the bottom perch though. We will have to put one more lower down for them.
We have to drive down to the feed mill today. We used the last of the 17% feed. The drive will give me something to do so that I will not sit around all day fretting about the lonely newborn kit and whether or not its mama will feed it. Well, I’ll fret, but I’ll be productive while doing it. We will check on the kit when we get back and decide then whether to foster it. Maybe by then the decision will be taken out of my hands.