My most recent garden videos followed by a written update of what I did after those vids were made:
Yesterday was a busy day for me. I moved 2 more cubic yards of soil and filled in the top 10 inches or so of 2 4′ x 8′ garden beds. Then I planted cilantro, broccoli, kohlrabi, copra yellow keeping onions, bunching onions (green onions), shallots, echinacea, blood veined sorrel, and a purple and white sennetia flower to bring in the bees.
I left space on either side of it for calendula which are orange and yellow, so will contrast nicely. On the far side of where one calendula goes is the echinacea which will be purple/pink, and then on the far side of that is my yellow yarrow, so the colors will complement each other nicely.
I dug out the yarrow and common sorrel before filling the one bed, then replanted the yarrow and divided the sorrel. I put back about 3 of the sorrel into the place they had been once the bed was filled, but it is not up higher.
Mom took the excess sorrel divisions and heeled them into one of her beds to be placed later. After getting everything in place I gave all the beds that have plantings in them a good dose of water with my new 50 foot heavy duty, no kink garden hose.
It has a nozzle that is somewhere between a regular sprayer nozzle and a wand. It is not as unwieldy as a want, but still makes it easier to aim the flow of water where you want it. The hose is great as it reaches the entire garden easily and watering doesn’t take that long. I had planned on putting in a new irrigation system before the pay cut, one made with PVC pipe, but I couldn’t justify the expense.
It’ll mean a bit more work through the season, but I spent a total of $20 for the hose and the sprayer nozzle as opposed to what would likely come out to be around $75 to $100 to buy all the parts for making the system. The pipe itself is pretty cheap. It’s the couplings, timers, and switchers that get you.
It’ll probably take 20 to 30 minutes a day twice a week once things get going well, depending on heat. The method I’m using for growing maintains moisture pretty well, but if we get a lot of days in the 80’s then we have to water more frequently, especially tomatoes or peppers.
I’ve got a line on a broken black NZ buck rabbit. And the same people said that they have a litter of broken red NZ’s due to be born Saturday so they would be ready to go mid-June. Since the brokens can throw both red and broken when paired with a red or both black and broken when paired with a white, I thought it would be a good way to get the solids as well as the broken kits I want. I will go out to see him this afternoon and hopefully he will be what I want. He’s 12 weeks old and supposedly quite friendly.
They also have some 7 week old ones, so if I would rather do that I can pick one out and come back for him at 8 weeks old. I hope the older one is all that I want, though. I don’t like taking only 1 kit when they are just 8 weeks old. I feel like they still need to have another rabbit or two in with them until they are 12 weeks old. They thrive better. If I get one, I’ll put up a photo or video of him tomorrow.
The kits are doing well. Cinnabun’s are fat and already 2 of them are showing auburn streaks through the black fur. Bonfire’s are all still looking solid black. I did one extra nursing session for Bonfire’s kits two days running and then just did an extra session for the smallest in her litter. I think one more extra meal for it today and then it should be out of danger and able to fight better for its share of the milk.
I have to go clean out a cage for the new kit. It is mostly clean, but has been sitting outside so needs to have any wind blown debris wiped out and it never hurts to do another quick scrub down because a chicken may have pooped on it or something. I also need to go locate my transport cage. I think it is in the garage on my husband’s work bench, but it might be behind the rabbit shed. All right, enough lollygagging on the computer for me. Time to get to work.